Baseball prepares for Miami as regular season comes to an end

As the school year closes, the BG baseball team will continue its season after the end of finals week with a three-game series with the Miami University RedHawks in its second to last full home stand of the 2013 season.

The 14-23 (8-10) Falcons are currently on a three-game losing streak thanks to a series sweep by the Kent State University Golden Flashes this past weekend.

Earlier in April, BG was riding a six-game winning streak but has only won one of its past five games since then.

Miami University is currently boasting a 20-22 record, but will play a pair of midweek games against the University of Cincinnati Bearcats before traveling to BG on Friday.

The RedHawks started the 2013 season with three straight losses in the First Pitch Invitational in Greenville, S.C., which they lost 8-1 to Northwestern University and two games, both 6-5, against the Furman University Paladins. They finished the tournament with two straight wins against the Western Carolina Catamounts (3-2 in 10 innings) and the Michigan State University Spartans (8-6).

Following its spurt of luck, Miami travelled to Macon, Ga., for a three-game series with the Mercer University Bears and lost all three games with a combined score of 31-11.

During spring break, the RedHawks traveled to Florida for the Russ Matt Invitational held in Winter Haven, Lakeland and Auburndale.

Miami fared better in this tournament than it did in the first one. It defeated Illinois State University, Fairfield University, Long Island University-Brooklyn, North Dakota State University and the United States Naval Academy.

The RedHawks fell short only twice during the tournament, to the United States Military Academy and Valparaiso University. They outscored their opponents 61-29, including an 18-run win against North Dakota State.

Since then, Miami has won 13 games and lost 13 games.

The RedHawks recorded a season-long six-game losing streak against the University of Akron, Wright State University, Xavier University and Kent State University earlier in April.

The Falcons have 11 remaining games including the three-game series against Miami University this weekend.

BG will host Ball State University next Tuesday to finish its season series with the Cardinals before hitting the road for a three-game series against Ohio University in Athens.

The Falcons will finish the 2013 regular season schedule the following week at home with a midweek battle against Northern Kentucky University and a three-game series against the University of Buffalo on the weekend.