Falcon baseball defeats Western Kentucky 3-2 in second game

BG starter Mike Frank went five strong innings and catcher T.J. Losby homered as the Falcons clinched their series against the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers with a 3-2 win Saturday afternoon.

The Falcons move to 2-0 on the season with a pair of one-run victories. Frank, a RHP junior, made his first appearance for BG since 2011. Over five innings, he surrendered just one earned run on three hits, striking out six and walking just one.

BG got on the board early again, with Losby hitting the team’s first home run of the season, a solo shot in the second. The Hilltoppers quickly tied up the score with a solo home run by Ryan Huck.

From there, Frank battled with Hilltoppers starter Tim Bado into the sixth inning. The Falcons again took a one-run lead after Patrick Lancaster doubled and was singled home by first baseman Jeremy Shay.

Once again, the Hilltoppers tied it in the bottom half of the frame. Falcons reliever Brett Fitzwater, in his first career appearance for BG, cost Frank the chance for a win, after giving up an RBI-single to Devin Kelly. The Hilltoppers almost took the lead, but a throw from Lancaster in right field cut down another runner at home for the third out.

An inning later, the Falcons took the lead for good.

Rookies Matt Smith and Trey Keegan got the rally started with a walk and single. Smith would later score on a single by shortstop Brian Bien to put the Falcons ahead 3-2.

Unlike Friday’s game, where the Falcons blew a six-run lead, junior Ethan McKenney pitched the last three-innings of the game and kept the Hilltoppers scoreless on just one hit.

The RHP was used exclusively as a starter last season, but was utilized by BG coach Danny Schmitz as a long-reliever on Saturday. While walks were an issue for him last year, throwing 20 free passes in under 60 innings as a starter, McKenney struck out two Hilltoppers and walked none in Saturday’s game.

With the win, the Falcons clinched their series against the Hilltoppers and improve to 2-0 for the season. The two teams will meet again Sunday in Bowling Green, Ky. at 2 p.m. EST.