Jose Narro stands out in Joe Feaganes Marshall Invitational

The Bowling Green men’s golf team participated in the 2014 Joe Feaganes Marshall Invitational on Monday and Tuesday in Huntington, W.VA.

The Falcons tied for seventh overall with a combined team score of 872 [+20] as they posted scores of 300, 282 and 290 over the three rounds. Their team score was bolstered by the excellent play of Sophomore Jose Narro who finished in first place overall in the tournament. Narro earned his second intercollegiate win by posting a final round score of 71 [par], and a combined score of 206 [-7].

Sophomore Brett Rinker posted a score of 74 [+3] in the first and second rounds on Monday. Rinker had a combined score of 219 [+6], and that was good enough to tie for 32nd overall.

Youngstown State won the team championship with a combined team score of 851 [-1].

The BG men’s golf team will tee off next at the Rees Jones Intercollegiate on Sept. 21-23 at the Haig Point Golf Club in Daufuskie Island near Hilton Head, S.C.

The women’s golf team participated in the 2014 Redbird Invitational this past Sunday and Monday at the Weibring Golf Club in Normal, Ill. The Falcons finished in the top half of the table in eighth place after posting scores of 314 and 312 in the first two rounds on Sunday. They turned in a score of 316 in the final round on Monday, which gave them a combined score of 942 [+78].

Senior Patricia Holt was the highest-placing Falcon, posting scores of 75 [+3] and 76 [+4] on Sunday before posting a score of 83 [+11] on Monday. She finished the tournament with a combined score of 234 [+18], which tied for 28th overall.

Behind Holt were senior Shelby Wilson and junior Hannah Lewis. Wilson posted a score of 84 [+12] in the first round, 77 [+5] in the second and 76 [+4] in the final round. That left her with a combined score of 237 [+21], which was good for a tie at 48th place.

Lewis finished in a tie for 43rd place with a first round score of 79 [+7] and finished with a score of 80 [+8] in the second round. Lewis finished with a score of 78 [+6] in her final round of play, which also included three birdies. That gave her a combined score of 237 [+21].

The Illinois State Redbirds took the overall first place position led by Brianna Cooper who got the win. Cooper posted an overall score of 218 [+2].

The BG women’s golf team will be back in action Sept. 14, to take part in the one day Jon P. Spiess Memorial Tournament hosted by Defiance College.