BG Baseball falls to EMU despite early run

The Bowling Green baseball team kept the early-scoring going in its midweek game against Eastern Michigan.

It didn’t pay off this time.

Getting on the board with a sacrifice fly in the top of the first inning, the Falcons [9-18] snagged an early 1-0 lead. They held the lead until the bottom half of the third when the Eagles tied it up with an RBI groundout.

Starter Jevon Boyd continued through the fourth inning, surrendering just one run through 14 batters.

“We had some solid pitching performances and did some good things that we can build on, but now we must turn our attention to a big series at Ohio this weekend,” said head coach Danny Schmitz.

Despite the early run, BG was being no-hit by Kyle Huckaby through five innings, taking advantage of walks and

fielding errors.

The Falcons didn’t register their first of three hits until the top of the sixth on a two-out Matt Smith triple. Greg Basalyga couldn’t advance Smith another 90 feet, grounding out to end the inning.

“Our offensive approach wasn’t very good tonight, and we never got much going,” Schmitz said.

EMU took advantage.

In the bottom of the inning, the Eagles broke the 1-1 tie.

Trevor Farrell came on to pitch for Wes Rickenberg, getting a quick out, but then the Eagles broke the game open.

Jordan Peterson singled to right before stealing second. Farrell then got John Rubino to a full count before letting him get away, putting two on with one out.

A wild pitch allowed both baserunners to advance, putting Peterson on third, Rubino

on second.

Again, Farrell couldn’t find the zone, walking Mitchell McGeein on a wild pitch as Peterson trotted home and Rubino moved to third.

Tony Landi came on to replace Farrell, looking to get the Falcons out of the jam. No such luck was to be had.

John Montgomery jumped on the third pitch he saw from Landi, singling through the right side, advancing McGeein to third and bringing Rubino around to score.

Landi sat Michael Mioduszewski down looking before Adam Dennison capped off the inning with an RBI single, stretching their lead to 4-1.

The Falcons showed some life in the seventh with back-to-back singles, but Cody Callaway and Addison Rospert registered consecutive backwards K’s to end the inning and the

Falcons’ chances.

Neither team got a hit through the final two-and-a-half frames as the Falcons snapped their two-game winning streak.

The Falcons remain on the road through the weekend with a three-game Mid-American Conference series against second-place Ohio.