Falcons track and field splits for competition this weekend

BG’s track and field team will compete this weekend in split squad events.

One squad will make the trip to North Carolina State University for the Raleigh Relays while the other squad will be competing in the Toledo Collegiate Invitational.

The Raleigh Relays will be a two-day meet starting Friday at 10:30 and finishing Saturday. This meet has been ranked one of the top five meets in the nation this weekend with some elite competition from around the country.

“The experience gained this weekend will be important,” coach Lou Snelling said.

This weekend in North Carolina will be an important weekend for the Falcons in many areas. This will be the first meet of the year for Janette Pettigrew after redshirting during the indoor season. Brooke Pleger will finally be able to go back to the hammer throw, her best event. The Falcons will also look to continue the early outdoor season strong as they finished third in the UC relays two weeks ago.

“The UC relays were big steps towards achieving our goals as a team,” Snelling said.

Janette Pettigrew will open the 100 meter dash this weekend in her first outdoor meet coming off an injury and a redshirt. There were flashes of how good Janette could be during the indoor season as she ran unattached during a few meets.

Brooke Pleger is coming off a very good indoor season as she placed fifth in the weight throw at the Mid-American Championships. She is now transitioning to outdoor where she competes in the hammer throw, which is her best event. She will be throwing hammer for the first time this season this weekend.

Although the other squad will not be competing in the Raleigh Relays, they will still be competing as all of their stats can still qualify them for MAC championships.

This will be an important weekend for the Falcons in both events with some of the athletes getting back into action for the first time this season.

“We want to continue our positive start to this season, open up well and build off of where we left off last season,” Snelling said.