BG looks to rise in conference standings against Toledo

The BG track and field team will host its first and only home meet against Toledo this Thursday. The field events will begin at 2 p.m. and the running events will begin at approximately 3 p.m.

The Falcons are coming into this meet after competing well in their past few meets at North Carolina State and at the University of Akron. The team has a few athletes who have already qualified for the Mid-American championships and some more right on the verge of that number with the last month of the season coming up.

“We are right on point with our goals right now,” coach Lou Snelling said. “We need to keep our momentum and continue to move up the MAC standings.”

This Thursday’s meet is a dual meet against the rival Toledo Rockets. The team will put a large majority of their roster out on the field. Although a few will miss the meet because of rest and other factors, thrower Brooke Pleger will most noticeably sit this meet out. The team Snelling puts on the track will be there to compete to their highest abilities.

“We want to compete well no matter what the conditions and move up the standings,” Snelling said.

Janette Pettigrew and many of the runners will be looking to improve their times from this past weekend’s meet. Pettigrew will be looking to continue her improvement coming off of her redshirt she qualified for the MAC championships in the 100 and 200 last weekend.

“(Janette) is taking good steps and by the end of the season is on track to be in a good spot in the standings,” Snelling said.

For the Falcons, as this is their only home meet of the year, it is their chance to show their fans what they are capable of and there is nobody better to do it against than Toledo.

“We want to represent well at home and especially against Toledo,” Snelling said. “We need to go out and put our best foot forward and compete.”