Thrower sets school record in hammer throw event

Breaking a school record she’d set a week before, Brooke Pleger re-set the previous BG record in the hammer throw at the Northeast Ohio Quad on April 5 in Akron.

Pleger placed fifth in the weight throw at the Mid-American championship and has brought that confidence and momentum into the outdoor season.

“Before the season started, coach Conley and I discussed a number goal for me, and we thought by the end of the season I could be throwing 64 or 65 meters,” said Pleger.

Pleger went to the Raleigh Relays for her first outdoor meet of the season.

She had her chance to throw on Saturday of that weekend, but seemed a bit anxious after waiting through the long line of throwers. Pleger fouled on her first two throws. She gathered herself together and threw 64.76 meters to break the previous school record of 58.43 and move to third place in the country in the hammer throw.

“After my first two fouls, I just tried to relax so I could get a good throw in,” Pleger said. “I felt like I had a really big throw in me, and I was just excited to go out and compete and see what happened.”

Pleger left Akron with yet another school record of 66.99 and a jump to second in the national standings. That throw also surpassed the automatic qualifying mark for the NCAA championships this June.

“I was really excited and shocked after that throw came out to almost 67 meters,” Pleger said. “Now I’m just excited to see where I can go as the season progresses.”

“Getting that number one spot definitely drives me because I am extremely competitive,” Pleger said. “To throw 69 meters this year would be mind-blowing, but it’s not out of the question at this point.”

As a redshirt sophomore, Pleger currently has two more athletic years left and has an unlimited ceiling at this point in her career. She will continue to improve and compete for a MAC championship this season.

“This year I just want to win a MAC title and be a first team All-American,” Pleger said. “In the next few years, I would like to place in the top three or four and maybe even win a national championship here.”

Breaking these records is a big deal for the fans and the media but for a nursing major out of Saline, Mich., she is just doing what she loves.

“It’s exciting to set the record, but I just love throwing. Even if I didn’t set the records, I would still be out here just doing what I love to do,” Pleger said.

The Falcons will be out to put on a good show and continue to improve for their home fans Thursday April 11 against rival Toledo. Pleger will look to continue to improve on her performance this season on April 18 at the Mt. SAC relays.