Pleger competed against world’s best

All but Brooke Pleger of the BG track and field team finished their weekend at the Jesse Owens Classic Saturday while she competed against the world’s top competition at the Mt. San Antonio College Relays in California.

Pleger entered the meet ranked second in the country in the hammer throw and was selected to compete in the elite field at the Mt. SAC Relays. She was one of three college athletes invited to compete in the meet, which had a total of 12 competitors in the event.

Pleger did not beat her personal best throw of 219-9 feet, but she did finish seventh overall and second among the college athletes with a throw of 213-5.

Sultana Frizell of Team Canada carried the way with a distance of 234-10 and UCLA’s Ida Storm was the top college athlete placing fifth with a throw of 223-3. All six of Pleger’s throws were at least 205 feet.

Back in Ohio, the rest of the team was competing at Ohio State University on Friday and Saturday. Kayla Velasquez set her personal best in the discus throw on Friday with a throw of 143-1. Velasquez finished 13th out of 31 competitors with that throw.

The rest of the Falcons competed Saturday in Columbus, highlighted by Tiera Parker setting a season best in the triple jump with a leap of 37-2.25. That distance moved her to 10th in the Mid-American Conference and placed her seventh at the meet.

The 4×400 relay team of Taylor Rambo, Demetra Taylor, Brittany Sinclair and Allison Weimer had a season best time of 3:54.65 to finish fourth. Sinclair also finished 10th in the 400 and Natalie Sommerville was 11th in the 400 hurdles.

The Falcons will finish the regular season with another split squad weekend. Half of the team will compete at the Hillsdale College Gina Relays Thursday through Saturday and the other half will compete at the Ashland Open on Friday and Saturday.