Falcons fly Into 2024 season, led by Rivelli and Weilbacher

Jack Rintamaa

Earlier today, the Falcon gymnastics team opened their 2024 season in a close meet versus the Illinois State Redbirds. With a change in scenery of course…this season, the Falcons will compete their entire home schedule in the Stroh Center with room for even more Falcon fans. 

Through four rotations Bowling Green fell short with a 195.950-192.975 score, but included great performances on the bars and all-around events.  

Here’s everything you need to know.  

Earlier in the week, the MAC Sports went to social media announcing “Gymnasts To Watch” this season. In a nutshell, by naming sophomore Isabella Rivelli and junior Kathryn Weilbacher, they hit the nail right on the head.  

During today’s meet, Rivelli won the bars event with a 9.825 and Weilbacher clinched the all-around with 39.225 points. These two performances allowed the Falcons to keep in step with the Redbirds, despite some mistakes during their floor rotation.  

Looking at the scores side by side, the Falcons almost exactly matched Illinois State in the bars, only behind by .15 of a point. However, BGSU found their biggest challenges during the floor routines, trailing the Redbirds by 1.70 points.  

While there may be some growing pains from this first official meet of the season, it’s important to note that three Falcons made their BG debut today; Nadia Parente (Beam), Keira Thornton (Vault/Bars/Floor), and Love Akpan (All-Around). 

The Falcons continue their season on Saturday to open MAC competition with NIU (Dollar Day), meeting starting at noon.